Work with Double Check Ranch
We are always looking for energetic, talented, passion-driven people who are committed to humane and sustainable agriculture. At the Double Check you can learn personally and professionally, enjoying the emotional compensation that comes with a wholesome rural lifestyle.
We are interested in hearing from you if:
- You would like to live in a rural setting
- You would like to work outdoors with your hands
- You have a healthy interest in sustainable agriculture
FOR RENT OR IN-KIND WORK TRADE
3 Bedroom, 2 Bath Mobile Home on our Southern Arizona ranch pasture. Home is updated and available for move-in.
Opportunity is perfect for someone looking to live in a quiet, pastoral and rural setting and does not mind being in close proximity to a working ranch with animals. Neighboring towns and cities include Winkelman (8 mins), Oro Valley (50 mins), Tucson (1 hour), Phoenix 1.25 hrs). Rent is $1000/month including utilities. If interested in simply spending a weekend at the ranch, please check out our Thoreauvian Cabin!
Opportunity is also good for those looking to gain or continue experience in ranching or developing side holons (pastured pigs, chickens, biodiesel, etc. see below). Previous experience or related education may apply. Rent for the home is negotiable and could be traded for in-kind help. Work available at the ranch is in the roughly 15hrs/wk range.
Contact email@example.com with inquiries. We request that only serious inquiries are submitted.
1. Packing House/Game Processing Center
- Nice little stand-alone business with room to expand.1200 square foot, state-certified, state-inspected packing-house surrounded by irrigated pastures.
- 2.5-acre commercial lot with residence (updated 3 bed/2 bath mobile home).
- Perfect for game processing business to supply local demand, but has a built-in (baseline) livestock processing business (15-20 head per month with Ranch).
- Arizona Department of Agriculture (ADA) inspection and certification up to date.
- 500 s.f. kill floor, 8 beef walk-in cooler, 3/4 man cutting room, 2 walk-in freezers (manifolded but separable),Grandin-style handling chutes & scales
We are looking to spin-off this commercial unit to focus on animal production, but we want a good partner and neighbor as well!
In possible combination with our Residential Opportunity listed above, Double Check Ranch also has a position open for Chief Operating Officer. Please submit cover letter and resume with three reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a number of potentially profitable enterprises (holons) that could be developed here. We do not have the time to take advantage of all of them, but are willing to split the profits generously (50/50+) with anyone who cares to take on a project using our untapped resources. Some examples include:
- Ecotourism: Charge fees for hikes, walks, or rides through the gallery forest on the river. One of North America's most biologically diverse places.
- Offal: We currently compost between 2000-3000 pounds a month of beef offal. It's a rich, organic fertilizer that we apply to our pastures and could be sold. Other potential products might be blood/bone meal, hide tanning, beef heads (cabeza) or sun-bleached skulls.
- Wood: We have acres and acres of downed, cured woods ranging from cottonwood to mesquite. It could be a furniture-makers paradise!
- Lamb or Pigs: We haven't had the time to properly devote to more species, but the potential is huge.